Thread: 500 Yard Rifle
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Bart B.

Sarge, when I was in South Africa, I talked with some of the pro hunters guiding us Americans on big game hunts. When Remington came out with their 700's chambered for the .375 H&H Mag and .458 Win Mag, they proved to not be as reliable as the Win 70's chambered for the same behemoth buster cartridges. They sometimes failed due to magazine feeding and their short bolt handle being not all that easy to grasp in a hurry for rapid fire when the "Big Five" were up close, mad and personal and a reliable was required. They said most of the pro hunters felt Win 70's were the only standard size reliable large caliber bolt action besides the huge magnum Mauser actions made for the .416 Rigby, .505 Gibbs and other big bore cartridges.

And the Rem 7XX extractors have been a reliability issue for decades. Lots of folks have an M16 style or Sako extractor fit in their Rem 7XX bolts, both of which are virtually fool proof.

========

tahunua001, I've only seen one Ruger rifle used once in competition and it wasn't all that great. It was one of those 20 horrible, inaccurate, poorly designed rifles they made for the US Palma Team back in 1991. I don't know of any of their bolt actions used in serious center fire rifle competition these days.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 12, 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.02789 seconds with 8 queries