View Single Post
Old April 1, 2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Seeker

Open Carry in the Big City

Drove into Portland (OR) tonight for a little drywall work , from home in the hinterlands - 'bout a hundred miles, with my 17 year old son. It was a long day and we were getting tacos at the Muchos Gracias just before midnight in Portland. We were waiting patiently when a Portland police officer came in orders a couple of tacos, turned to me and said "You're from out of town arent you?". "No." I said, thinking he'd noted the peace symbol on my wool crusher and wondering how that set me off as notable, it's Portland, OR for crying out loud!

He then told me that open carry isn't legal in Portland. I was wearing a 1911 in a 'bikini'? holster (leather 'slot' (really just a variation on CR Sam style Mexican carry) that fits on a belt) with a black leather vest that didn't quite cover 'my embarrassment'.

I told him he was right unless the person has a CHL. He said in that case it must be concealed, but that he personally didn't care as he grew up 'in the country'. He was nice enough, even if decked out like a mall ninjas favorite dream, but continued to tell me that I was in violation of PDX laws.

In fact, Oregon allows open carry. Some municipalities have laws forbidding open carry but a state issued CHL supersedes local ordinances.

I explained this as I picked up our tacos and he suggested that I check again. Advised him that I had before coming to town and suggested that he should do the same research.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh

Page generated in 0.03714 seconds with 8 queries