View Single Post
Old January 20, 2012, 08:59 PM   #9
603Country

Mehavey, back in the early 80's I wanted a 220, so I prowled the gun shows. I knew that Ruger had made some heavy barreled varmint guns in the mid to late 70's and they got rave reviews regarding accuracy. I found one, but the heavy barrel had been cut to something less than 20 inches. The guy that sold it said he wanted a 220 that would fit on the dash of his old truck (for coyote shooting), so he had the barrel shortened. I think I paid $200 for it and the old 10 power scope (Lyman, I think). Man, that thing would shoot. I had never had a rifle that shot that good. Well, the barrel finally needed replacing, so I found a gunsmith near the house and told him I wanted a new barrel, but I wanted it to be 20 inches and more of a sporter weight size. He tried to talk me out of it, but I was determined. As it turned out, he put a 21 inch barrel (Douglas) on it and I didn't catch on to that extra inch for years. I also had him tune up anything and everything, float the barrel and bed the action. Turns out that the gunsmith was a top of the line guy that specialized in ultra light rifles, but I didn't know that back then. The rifle is a real tackdriver.

Page generated in 0.02263 seconds with 8 queries