View Single Post
Old May 11, 2011, 12:31 PM   #1
ZVP

"51 vs '62 Navy it's just balance...

Having just bought a Piettia '62 .36 Police from Cabelas and from owning a '51 Uberti London Model, I now understand why the older model '51 sold so well and so long!
Balance, just plain balance.
The newer creeping mechanism and the surrounding barrel metal displaces weight more to the center of the revolver and I am sure that since the '62 even feels a little muzzle heavy, that the additional 3" of barrel on a full sized revolver made the gun feel even more muzzle heavy.
There really isn't any weight difference between the two models of the Navy, it's just where the most metal is. Necessarilly the creeping design needs the surrounding metal shroud.
Oldtimers familliar with the delicate barrel lightness of the '51 I am sure felt this difference and opted for what they were used to whenever they bought a new gun. Hence the long term popularity of the '51!
Personally, I like the "feel" of the mass centered, full sized frame and 6 shot cylinder of the Piettia design that Cabela's sells. It reminds me more of my Ruger Vaquero and the 5" bbl makes it swing simillarilly.
Frankilly, I like both designs of the Navy model and also the morphed Piettia as well. I can't really pick a favorite between the '51 and the '62 as each has it's own attributes.
I had long wondered about why buyers didn't accept the more modern creeping type rammer system and more gracefull and flowing lines of the later model but now it makes sense to me.
What do you other owners think?
ZVP

Page generated in 0.03041 seconds with 8 queries