View Single Post
Old February 16, 2009, 06:57 AM   #5
mec

actually, I did write up the Starr in the second book but not in the one reffedby Mykeal ( who has read both):
You did really good walking away from that Starr Double action. I titled my chapter on it " Treason with a Hair Trigger" from a statement by an army officer to the effect that whoever had foisted this revolver on the military should be hanged for treason. The same could be said of the Pietta replicas.
Excerpts:
"the function of the modern replicas frequently sends contemporary purchasers casting about for somebody to lynch. One owner summed it up with a commendable economy of words, 'Mine was a piece of junk.' "

" Early reviews identified a number of deficits in the replicas with the most frequent being that they would not fire. Some buyers found that caps would not fire without multiple hammer strikes - or would not fire with any number of hammer strikes. "

"Another major problem was the pervasive tendency of the action to fail to function. The action was either locked up upon arrival or would seize tight after a few shots."

Ours had a broken trigger return spring (as did an original we examined) This part was impossible to find in the United States and we cobbled up a replacemnt from another design. The barrel/cylidner gap was something like .030" which bled off considerable velocity and gave wild shot to shot spreads. The action locked up frequently. We had to shim the nipples to get any sort of ignition and then had to relieve the breach to be able to get caps on them. Except for all the Pietta Literature on the barrel, it was very prettily finishted.

"In the world of engineering disasters, the Starr double action is definitely one.
Clint Eastwood used a Starr-apparently a single action, in the movie, The Unforgiven."

Page generated in 0.02212 seconds with 8 queries