View Single Post
Old January 23, 2000, 04:36 AM   #6
Long Path

Brunswick stew is one of my faves. My grandmother's squirrel stew was different: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Dress squirrel. Wash thoroughly. Cut in pieces for serving. Put in saucepan with .5 cup vinegar, 1 Tbspn mixed spices, 1 small diced onion, and a few celery leaves. Cover with water. Let stand 2-3 hours. Drain. Place in roaster. Brown in moderate oven (375 degrees f.). Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 2 diced onions, and 2 diced carrots. Cover with water. Cover and cook slowly until tender. Thicken broth until of consistency of thick cream. Serve with watercress or chickory salad. Fried hominy may be served with stewed squirrel."[/quote]

Traditional Brunswick stew is to simply dice up the meat of two thoroughly cleaned squirrels, lightly brown them in a skillet, and stew it in a crock-pot with potatoes, onions, 1-2 cans of stewed tomatoes, a clove of fresh garlic, 2 bay leaves, and salt and pepper. (okay, the crock pot is my technique. You can just do it on a stovetop in a pot. Cover with water, and stew down.)

Use a .22, but make ABSOLUTELY sure there's a tree branch or trunk acting as backstop; I had a great uncle killed by a falling bullet from a distant shot fired from a .22. (No lie!) We figure, based on the fact that the bullet had begun to tumble, that the shot was fired from an extreme distance at a high angle; probably somebody shooting at a squirrel, possum, or raccoon. Just damn bad luck.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Page generated in 0.03445 seconds with 8 queries