View Single Post
Old January 11, 2014, 12:27 AM   #1
barnbwt

Yeah, It's a Forgery, but Perhaps Still a Good Deal?

I'm wanting to get a Hi Power. I have learned, through trying to figure out what version I'd like to have, that the platform is basically a nerd's paradise of endless variations. As we all know, collector nerds tend to attract con men. Being a savvy nerd, I figured I should spend an hour or two trying to look for what makes the guns valuable vs. just pretty.

So I'm looking at a mildly-pitted old beater FN Hi Power, and I notice a large "crown" style Belgian Liege proof and a busy host of other marks on the exterior exposed portion of the barrel that the others were missing. A quick zoom shows a W and PV and some other jazz that looks to be Nahtzee jazz.

I was kinda surprised, considering how the "T" serial number falls squarely on 1968 . It's also got the simple dovetail rear sight base and external extractor consistent with that year. I could care less, honestly, it's destined to be a shooter/project gun, though I'd just as soon not have worthless Nazi tagging all over it.

Looking further into it, I'm actually a bit impressed with the degree of forgery; the serial number and rear sight base are the only very noticeable tells. The barrel markings are in the right spot, they even ground a "thumbnail" cut into the right with pretty good quality. Moon front sight and ring hammer (I'm only interested in this gun because I like the ring better). Also a weird/unnecessary "0" stamped after the serial number (giving it 7 digits). Even the "T" looks fakey, though that may just be me being paranoid. The black grips suggest plastic that was, I believe, common on FNH military contract guns --of 1968. So, pretty convincing to a mark at a gun show with no internet to check on the serial number.

Whatever it really is, it's at worst an FN Hi Power (I noticed FEG's have a slightly different machining contour at the rear of the trigger guard, and FM's have a different slide nose), probably a MK II or something less valuable than a "true" T series. Which means it's likely still a good shooter if nothing's broken internally. That's all I'm really after, just checking which avocado is riper, is all

Before I spring for it (or find another HP that catches my eye better) I wanted to get opinions, or at least comments. Even snarky ones about how I'm wasting my money . Hey, it's either this, an Izzy Police HP that's almost as worn (and a Mk II series), or an FEG that's only in slightly less ugly condition!

Doesn't show in the picture, but scattered pitting on the slide and frame despite the corners still being pretty sharp (for a 40yo gun). The "nicer" guns I'm looking at look are pretty much just as worn, but without the pitting and Nazi-fication. Prices are all sub 400$ --that's me limit for HP's, at least until I'm addicted to these things

I actually kinda like the fake thumb notch, it goes well with the shape of the slide release on the opposite side. Yes, I know I've tweaked the image so Image Search doesn't chase up the auction immediately (you snakes )

TCB
Attached Images
File Type: png Hi Powah.png (118.0 KB, 157 views)

Page generated in 0.02840 seconds with 9 queries