View Single Post
Old August 31, 2019, 12:07 AM   #50
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I never would call shooting my 44mag SBH "fun"--more like "a challenge." Your palm/wrists are going to feel it.
Everybody is a bit different about that. My Super Blackhawk is the old 7.5" and wears Pachmayr rubber grips and its the 2nd most pleasant to shoot of the 4 that I own. And, i'm talking velocities 1200fps and above.

The most punishing .44 Mag I own is a 10" Contender. Even with the Pachmayr grip that octagon pencil barrel makes it light. Muzzle climb is extreme!

Next least pleasant is my S&W M29. Again, Pachmayr grips on the 6.5" gun tame it a bit, with the stock wood grips it is painful. With the rubber its just sharply unpleasant.

Most comfortable to shoot, as far as recoil is concerned is my .44 Mag Desert Eagle. Not so good to hold up, and the grip is huge, too big for some folks, but the near 4.5lb loaded weight and gas operation tames the recoil to about the same felt level as a GI .45 auto. Blast, on the other hand, is something else!

some people act as if you're a wimp if you can't shoot several hundred rounds of .44 Mag every few days. OF course, THEY would never do it.

Shoot too much, and too much of something that kicks hard, and you're headed for nerve damage. You can do enough damage to pretty much end your handgunning career before you realize it. Don't be a macho fool, if it hurts, DON'T DO IT.

(or, don't do much at any one time, and HEAL in between! )

If shooting for recreation, load to about 1100fps or so, or slightly less. Lots of "boom" and enough recoil to tell you there's plenty of "thwop" but not so sharp as do be damaging to your nerves if you shoot a couple boxes, or more..

Page generated in 0.03803 seconds with 8 queries