View Single Post
Old February 13, 2018, 08:37 AM   #11
kraigwy

I attended a Creedmoor (BPCR) match (shooting 800,900 &1000 yards.

Not knowing much, I figured cast bullets in rifles would be like cast bullets in pistols, the harder the bullet, and pushed fast would be the way to go.

Then I started shooting. They weren't accurate. To the contrary, they tumbled, you could hear them whistling through the air.

Then I had a discussion with Kenny Wasserburger who was running the match. Kenny is what I would call an expert in BPRS, having won several national championships, setting several records.

Soon as he hard my bullet whistling through the air he told me what I was doing wrong.

1: Bullets too hard, 2: Too much velocity.

In the 45-70 cast bullet should be soft lead ( like muzzleloader bullets). An also should be kept to the orginal BP velocity. That being 1100-1300 fps.

For long range power and long range accuracy its hard to beat the 535 gr Postel bullet.

For short or medium range the 405 gr work perfectly.

They dont need to be hard cast nor a lot of velocity. A gazlian buffalo have been killed with that load. The Army gave them away to enchourage the killing off the buffalo to assist in getting the Indians on reservations.

Depending on the gun, there isnt much recoil. None with my Trapdoor Springfield Rifle, a bit more with my Browning Model 1885.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03778 seconds with 8 queries