View Single Post
Old December 3, 2001, 09:22 PM   #13

Danny, I am no big time coyote hunter, so that should tell you how hard it is. We use one of those Johnney Stewart electronic calls. We put about 50 feet of speaker wire on it. The dogs run right to the speaker. I once had my partner set up to call and I got on a hill about 200 yards away to watch the whole thing unfold. I live in the desert and you can see a long way. A coyote came at a dead run from MILES away right to the speaker. I have a mouth call that I use on occasion. I use it mostly when I see a coyote out of the blue. The mouth call is certainly a viable option and a cheap way to get into it. That is what I would be using all the time if my buddy didn't have the tape unit. As long as the dog doesn't see you or smell you, calling them right into you isn't a big trick. My hunting buddy was calling one day and was looking to his right. When he turned his head back to the left, there were two coyotes sniffing his pants leg. He shot the first one at contact range with a CAR-15. The main thing is to only move very very slowly and don't let them scent you. If you want them in close, hunt in thick brush where you can only see about 10 yards. I am sure coyotes have better eyes than I do, but they can't see much further than that. If you have the cash for an electronic call, go with the one that takes CDs. Another interesting story. I was out varmint hunting at night with a different guy riding along in his pickup. We saw a group of about 10 deer feeding about 100 yards away. He said, watch this. He took a tape from his caller and put it in his car stereo. He shut off the lights and the engine and played a tape of a deer fawn in distress. We waited a couple minutes, turned the headlights back on and the deer were sniffing the truck. I could have touched them from the window.

Page generated in 0.02300 seconds with 8 queries