Thread: first casting!!
View Single Post
Old August 17, 2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

Hey Cheese,

Those look great, and I like the green lube as well....

Do you have a lead thermometer ? If you do, you might try running your alloy at around 675'ish, and with a little pre-heat on that mold you should have those great looking bullets falling if not from the get go, very close to it.

Don't ask me why, but when using straight WW alloy, from my 358-158 mold up through my 452-300, they all just seem to like that particular temp. If I get it up into the 700 degree range they start throwing out weird ones with a funky circle or wrinkle on the sides. (Still haven't figured out the circle thing.)

Also don't get too caught up in the having to smoke the cavities either. A few heating up and cooling off cycles followed by a scrub out with BonAmi or Comet will do wonders for them. Sometimes it takes a few cycles to get all of the cutting oil out of the pores of the aluminum. So if you find it pouring great one time, then the next time it throws nothing but junk, you'll know why.

I usually do a quick scrub out with an old tooth brush and as hot of water as will fall out of the faucet, each time I get ready to pour with them. Then I give them a lube up and set them on the hot plate to warm up.

Don't know if it helps or not, just something about being here in the balmy south right along the coast and knowing how this atmosphere is with oxidizing aluminum. Just makes me feel better knowing that IF there was any there I scrubbed it off before I started pouring. I don't mind having throw backs, but I like to get more usable bullets than ones I have to remelt.

Page generated in 0.03075 seconds with 8 queries