View Single Post
Old August 16, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1
azurefly

When traveling, and packing, in reciprocity states

When you are traveling through any other states that give reciprocity to your concealed carry license, do you carry anything, paperwork-wise, that you would provide to any police authority in the event that you were stopped, or had to use your firearm, or otherwise were found to be carrying? And if you do, what is it that you carry? A printout from packing.org that names the state you are in and says that it recognizes your license?

Is there anything that is acknowledged to be the "official" or "best" resource for proving, to a cop in another state who may simply not know that his state recognizes your license and can't be convinced by your say-so, that could have him sending you off on your way without major trouble?

For example, I'm in Florida, and could find myself driving through Georgia, and let's say I was "made" for whatever reason by a cop. (Could be a traffic stop, etc.) I could show him my license from Florida, and of course I would; but what if he says, "Get out of here, that's no good -- it says 'Florida'!" Wouldn't it suck to get arrested by a cop who is ignorant about CCW reciprocity and then have to post bond and pay a lawyer just because the cop didn't know his stuff? (Hey, let's face it, there are plenty of cops who neither have, nor give, the straight story regarding the law. Ask 10 cops what the legal length of a knife in your jurisdiction is. Then post the ten different answers you get in this thread. ) Sure, you may have a claim to false arrest, but wouldn't you rather just be on your way without hassle, and without spending the night in an out-of-state jail with drunks, gang-bangers, AIDS patients, crazies... and having your car impounded and damaged?

-azurefly

Page generated in 0.02548 seconds with 8 queries