Thread: SW 500 Problem
View Single Post
Old March 31, 2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Sevens

While what you said is true... newer powders are coming along that may provide the velocity the H110 is famous for without it's quirks. NO - I am not talking about Lil'Gun, I know you have a seething, white-hot hate for Lil'Gun, so please don't go that direction. (your hate is justified, just that it's well documented)

H110 also calls for a magnum primer. That's fine -- stuff works perfectly when it's run as recommended. Myself, I load 17 different handgun rounds and I dabble in more than a half-dozen rifle rounds, so four different primer sizes was my self imposed limit and I'm not ALSO buying magnum primers.

For loads that H110 excels at, I'm using Alliant 2400, which doesn't get quite where H110 goes, but it's a lot friendlier to work with and it CAN be reduced. It's more flexible. For just as fast (faster?) than H110, I'm experimenting with both AA#9 and Power Pro 300-MP. Until chrono weather is here, I don't have results yet.

So don't take my post as H110 -hate-, it's just a shout-out that not everyone needs it. Not being able to reduce a powder is like wiping away a cardinal handloading rule. I don't like that. Quirk, feature, caveat, call it how you see it, but using H110 doesn't fit with my methods of load development.

H110/W296 is a fantastic powder, but I've gone nearly 25 years without it, I will go forth in the same manner. There is life beyond H110, and this comes from a guy that has like two dozen DIFFERENT powders on hand.

Page generated in 0.03774 seconds with 8 queries