View Single Post
Old July 31, 2011, 10:40 PM   #32
Deja vu

Quote:
Still barely legal, on it's best day ....... throw in field conditions (low temps=lower MV=less ME=not cutting the mustard)... and try 'splainin' to the game warden that your .357 rifle is loaded with super-duper loads that are legal ...... he's got in his head that that it's a pop-gun, and you are the only fool he's ever seen hunting with one........

So, carefully loaded, with long barrels, and all the stars aligned and conditions perfect, .357out of rifle is barely legal in NE ....... and legal or not, it would be a poor choice for where I hunt: if I only took short shots, I'd have had a lot of hungry winters. The deer are well fed, with 1 1/2 y.o. bucks running 150 lbs ..... 100 yards is a short shot in western Nebraska.

Under field conditions, which means things rarely go perfectly, by choosing a .357 Magnum rifle, you are taking out all margin of error...... Maybe you want a challenge, but I think ethically, you owe your quarry a clean kill. Unless you are willing to pass up less than perfect shots ....... then it is a poor choice.
I agree that it may be hard to convince a warden that it is legal. I enjoy a challenge. I typically try to get closer that 100 yards when hunting with a 357 magnum. I all so agree that there are much better guns to hunt deer with.

I really do think the 357 magnum is a decent round for deer from an experienced hunter but I would not let my kids hunt deer with it (even though I did when I was a kid) They are less likely to pass up a shot.

Other than the hostility I agree with most of what you said. If you are hunting for food and need the meat then I would go with some thing more effective 100% of the time. I typically hunt for the sport (I do keep the meet and the antlers) I pass up shots every year. So if I don't get a deer that year its not a huge deal, my parents raise cattle so I pretty much all ways have beef in the freezer for next to nothing in $. I enjoy hunting with a 357 magnum rifle because it is 100% legal in Idaho (the only real rule is a center fire rifle less than 15lbs). I all so hunt with a 45/70 Govt lever action. I like lever actions.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Page generated in 0.03126 seconds with 8 queries