View Single Post
Old December 9, 2000, 06:19 AM   #19
navaho

Does anyone have _both_ the 6P/Z and the 9P/Z?

If so, how much brighter does the 9P/Z seem to you???

The reason I ask is because to my eyeballs, the 9P isn't really that much brighter than the 6P!?!

It _should be_ 50% brighter, because it puts out 105 lumens to the 6P's 65 lumens.

The only explanation I have is that maybe human brightness perception is non-linear (like human hearing, as in the logarithmic decibel scale).

Just to make sure I wasn't comparing apples to oranges, I broke out a fresh set of 5 batteries for the two flashlights, and measured them all with my digital voltmeter (they were all 3.22v), and _then_ did several A/B comparisons with the 9P vs. the 6P, both indoors and out. At night, of course.

It LOOKS LIKE the 6P is about 90% as bright as the 9P!!!

Sooo, I'm going to tuck my tail between my legs and ship back my unopened 9P's to Botach, and exchange them for 6P's.

I mean, if I can't see a 50% difference, there's no sense in spending the extra $$ for the light, as well as the extra battery $$. (The 9P takes one more battery than the 6P, and both flashlights are rated at 1 hour of battery life.)

So that leaves me with a few 9P's that I had purchased earlier.

Maybe it's "cognitive dissonance" (a fancy psychological term for convincing yourself that you _didn't_ really screw up..., you actually made that choice _on purpose_, and it's the _right_ choice! ), but... I think there is an argument to be made for the 9P's: they "feel more natural" than the smaller 6P's when held in the classic cop gun/flashlight hold. So I'll not an idiot for buying the 9P's earlier

But for the vast majority of my flashlight usage (which is "non tactical"), I think a 6P makes a lot more sense (from a $$ point of view).

Sorry for the bum steer.

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 8 queries