View Single Post
Old July 8, 2008, 02:11 PM   #53
tipoc

Quote:
Hello fellow gun enthusiasts. I was wondering if I could ask your educated opinion on the effectiveness of the 1911 as a CQB pistol. I love everything about the gun, but when push comes to shove, is the 1911's 7+1 really enough in a CQB situation?
Mostly the question has already be answered. But the 1911 was designed as a close quarters defensive sidearm and has fulfilled that function very well for close to 100 years. So well that virtually every other pistol is compared to it as folks are doing in this thread now.

Is 7+1 really enough? Yes and a spare mag or two can help. You can also ask yourself "What am I using the gun for"? In other words what is it's task? Choosing a gun that's suited to it's task requires some thought. Thought about how you actually live your day to day life and what you need.

Most importantly though is what gun and platform you can handle well, shoot well, that you have confidence in and your abilities with it, and that will be handy when you need it. Caliber choice is a part of this.

There are a lot of good guns available today. Many of those mentioned you can't really go wrong with. If the sa trigger,external safety, C&L carry option, size grip angle looks etc. of the 1911 appeal to you and you prefer it above others for carry...than go for that.

The 1911 is not for everyone. In my opinion it requires more dedication than the da/sa or dao guns to learn it well and handle it safely.

Personally it's the only semi auto platform I use. When I need or want more rounds the BHP (or one of CZ's products) fit the bill. I can also have 10+1 rounds of 38 Super on tap. The 1911 is available in 9mm, 40 S&W, 50 G.I., 10 mm, 9x23 and a number of other calibers as well. It comes in a variety of sizes and weights to fit many needs.

tipoc

Page generated in 0.03328 seconds with 8 queries