View Single Post
Old October 28, 2002, 12:02 PM   #5
Cap n ball

Jim, I think Stoeger was the manufacturer or importer of the stainless steel Lugers. I saw one for sale about a year ago and I believe it was a Stoeger. There were only three sets of dies ever made for making Lugers andI believe that at least one set was destroyed in the war and that the others were soldto intrests outside of Germany. Of course these dies were retooled many times and it may be that a completely new set was made from an old original like the ones that DWM must have owned. I have a feeling that there will always be Lugers somewhere. Accurate but sort of fragile and a bit over complicated, they will always have their fans if for no other reason than they are such a beautiful design and the history behind them is fascinating.

A good 'shooter' Luger will cost about $500.00. Magazines are difficult to find and many that you will find have weak internal springs that will have to be either replaced or retempered. The old ones with the wooden knobs are the best IMO. I buy good spare parts whenever I run across them at shows. They are never cheap. If you have one with matching numbers and intend to shoot it I would reccommend shooting it with a replacement extractor to preserve the original as this is usually the first part to break. Irma Werks made a really neat conversion kit that allows you to shoot 22 cal. and thus keep the 9mm costs down as well as the wear on the original parts. I bought an old shot out barrel that still had a good slide and installed one of those kits. It fits perfectly on the reciever and shoots just as well as it does in 9mm. Kit's are scarce but they can be found if one really looks at around $200.00. The conversion magazine is included of course.

Page generated in 0.03820 seconds with 8 queries