View Single Post
Old December 4, 2016, 02:27 PM   #94
RC20

Quote:
Now if you were running a 110 v circuit the amps for 2,400 watts would be close to 22 amps, I only mentions that small matter because of current draw on the circuit so; I suggest the reloader beef up the circuit breaker and increase the diameter of the wire. And then; there is always a 'and then' moment. Go to a 220V circuit, the 220v circuit will pull half the amps for the same work done being done.

And then we go back to the big inning; someone suggested a pan of water and then someone in a loud, lofty authoritative voice said it was not necessary and it did nothing.
I only respond to this as there is some electrical aspects to be cleared up here and about CBs from the above.

Your house uses what is called a Thermal (heat) Trip CB. Simplest CB out there. Most wall outlet CBs for any application are that type.

What that means is it has to heat up to trip.

A standard 20 amp (guess its 15 now) will take 40 amps for about 5 seconds before it trips. I.e. it takes a bit of time to heat up before it trips.

Electric motors draw a large surge current on startup but not sustained so they do fine.

Home compressors HP is rated on that Surge, i.e. you will see 3 and 5 hp rating when infarct the motor is 1/3 HP (which is about the limit)

A short pulse pull of 1.5 seconds will not trip it.

Sustained repeated pulse might, depends on the operation.

Cross check the wire size and don't just bump up the CB.

I rewired my shop compressor to 220 as it was iffy at the end of a long run.

Page generated in 0.02634 seconds with 8 queries