View Single Post
Old April 24, 2013, 07:08 PM   #2
oldpapps

Dimension wise, the .44 S&W Magnum is the same as the .44 Special with one exception, the case length. The same sized bullets, primers and most/some powders.

The .44 Special is an old black powder round and factory stuff is loaded to the same specs.

Mr. Elmer Keith changed the .44 world by 'over-loading' the short case and making it a magnum. After lots of campaigning with Remington and Smith & Wesson, the old .44 Special was lengthen by 1/8 of an inch (to keep the new longer cases for fitting into the older top break revolvers) and loaded much hotter.

As you dad is looking for 'softer loads', these can well be loaded.

I don't buy .44 Special brass and load back in .44 Mag length brass.

The Ruger is a dandy revolver and can handle some very stiff loads. But, don't jump into them, work up slowly.

My 'powder puff' load is 240 grain lead (same bullet as one of my warm Mag loads), Standard large Pistol primers (again for both [except sometimes powder in Mag loads] and 231 powder. My granddaughters and I like my 5.6 grains of 231.

There are many, many very good light to heavy loading for the .44s. I have yet to find one that sticks out as not being accurate.

Load with care and enjoy,

OSOK

Page generated in 0.03434 seconds with 8 queries