View Single Post
Old December 1, 2012, 11:23 AM   #51
F. Guffey

“They've used shims between a die's lock ring and the press since then, too. Most common shim and die this was done with is probably the .38 Special dies when set about 1/10th inch higher in the press so .357 Mag. cases could be reloaded with the same die set. I've been using a set of washers doing this for years”

I believe I covered that last week, I can only guess you missed it. The shim before Skip’s shim measured thickness was the difference in length between the 38 Special and 357 Magnum, the difference in thickness between the 44 Mag and 44 special was the thickness of the washer included in the die set. “.38 Special dies when set about 1/10th inch higher” and “I've been using a set of washers doing this for years” again, the shim was added to the die set for seating/crimping bullets, the seating die was raised to facilitate crimping.

“I've been using a set of washers doing this for years” and I said there were reloaders that did not secure the lock ring to their dies because it was a bad habit. Those that did not secure the lock ring adjusted their dies therefore it was not necessary to have the spacer, washer, Skip type shim. Had I been Skip I would have given credit to RCBS, I have never been able to understand how RCBS managed to sell two different sets of dies for the 44 Mag and 357 Mag, if the die was for the 44 Mag and 357 Mag a reloader could not crimp cases for the 44 Special or 357 Mag neither case could reach the crimp portion of the die.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.04102 seconds with 8 queries