View Single Post
Old October 4, 2012, 02:34 PM   #29
Fishbed77

Quote:
Colt...

There may be better - but - Colt makes the best.

If that doesn't make sense to you it never will.
Some people though are going to agree w/it 100%.....
Quote:
I'm not going to run out and buy a Colt just because a few of you say it's the best. Why are their 1911's better than other brands like Kimber, Springfield Armory or any other company for that matter? Pls give me specifics
OK, I'll bite.

I explained my preference for Colts among the more common production-line 1911s in post #10 of this thread, but I'll elaborate further and give my interpretation of what I think Hal is saying.

Colt was not only was the first company to produce the 1911 (and the company for whome the .45 ACP cartridge is named for), they basically carried the torch for the 1911 design throughout most of the 20th century, well after the various government contracts had dried up and most had lost interest in the platform. There is a lot of history and sentimentality attached to the name and the prancing pony. The higher re-sale value of Colt pistols versus other brands reflects this.

The actual Colt product line (and company) has certainly had its ups and downs, but as of right now, the Colt 1911s being produced are probably some of the best they have ever made. Colt has invested a lot of money in state-of-the-art CNC equipment and a skilled workforce, and it shows.

While other companies outsource overseas (or import foreign-manufactured 1911s) and rely on more and more MIM parts and castings (not that there is anything inherently wrong with either - but they are cheaper by design), Colt still manufactures their pistols in Hartford, Connecticut, employing American labor. They make their pistols of forged slides and frames, and employee only 3 MIM parts in their production-line guns (though I personally find the idea of the nylon backstrap a bit of a bummer, even though I've never had an issue with one).

Their customer service is excellent, and their Colt Custom Shop guys and girls definitely show pride in their work and stay engaged with the internet shooting community.

Last edited by Fishbed77; October 4, 2012 at 08:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.02888 seconds with 8 queries