View Single Post
Old August 16, 2012, 08:30 PM   #39
Crow Hunter

Quote:
But not very long before, the Japanese increased infantry rifle caliber from 6.5 to 7.7mm and the Italians went from 6.5 to 7.35; based on actual experience shooting at Chinese and Ethiopians, respectively.
These were not smart moves after the fighting had already started, the Japanese had to produce and support 6.5s alongside 7.7s and the Italians backed down from 7.35 and largely stuck with the original 6.5. But there was definitely a perceived need for more power per shot not long before there was a move to more shots.
I have always wondered about that.

My theory is that it wasn't a problem with the power of the rifle rounds for the individual rifleman. It was a problem with the power of their machine guns. Machine guns need that extra range and power to extend their beaten zone. I think they found out that the smaller calibers didn't have the effect at range they were looking for. (Just like we and the Russians have with the SAW/RPK vs the MAG 58/PKM)

The machine gun was/is the "killing tool" of the infantry. The bolt action rifles where just there to support the power of the machine gun. So it would make sense to just upgrade the rifle to match the MG to simplify logistics.

I don't know that I have ever read anything other than supposition from gun magazine writers about it, but I like my theory better.

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.03797 seconds with 8 queries