View Single Post
Old January 20, 2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I would let that stuff warm up two or three hours. Particularly the powder and primers. You don't want any moisture condensation on them.

I wasn't clear about the load cells in the scale. The strain gauges are foil resistors whose value changes as they stretch or compress. This resistance is what is measured to indicate strain. The metal part of the cell they are mounted upon deflects under load, like a stiff spring, but that amount of stretch elongates (or compresses-actually both, since some gauges are on top and some are underneath the load cell flex points) the gauge foil enough to change the reading.

As you might imagine, the load cell metal (usually aluminum on a sensitive scale) and the resistance metal foil in the gauge (I believe it is a Nickel alloy) and the plastic film it is encapsulated in and the gauge glue all have different linear coefficients of expansion. The result is a change in temperature can stretch or compress the resistance foil just as weighing something would do. Hence the reading shift (like changing the tare) and the sensitivity to temperature.

Nick

Page generated in 0.02409 seconds with 8 queries