View Single Post
Old February 8, 2008, 01:37 AM   #8
gunsmithing

an article by Detrich Apel on German Engravers

The American Legacy No. 2, from Columbus to the Declaration of Independence.
by Dietrich Apel
There are many fine engravings in this country done by Emil Willig or his son, Claus Willig. In the early years after World War II an American serviceman could have Emil Willig�s engravings for a few cartons of cigarettes. These were hard times for gunsmiths and engravers, because the only ones allowed to have guns were these American servicemen.

Many of these early guns were not marked with the Willig name but with the names Kurt J�ger,Mainz or Paul Jaeger, Jenkintown, Pa. Even when German gun makers were again allowed to make and work on guns, the American soldiers and officers remained good customers. For a time Kurt J�ger managed the gun shop of the Wiesbaden Rod & Gun Club of the American Air Force. One dollar was equivalent to more than four Deutsche Mark.

I also can remember that the gun dealer, Mr. Jaqua in Findlay, Ohio ordered many a fine engraving on shotguns that periodically come on the market now.

Claus Willig did not want to follow in his father�s footsteps, but wanted to be a musician. Dad must have convinced him to serve an apprenticeship as an engraver first, and this he did. When he went off to a school of the arts thereafter, he still had music in mind and perfected his skills in playing the violin.

He also had a great talent for drawing, and he ended up making his living as an engraver and playing the violin and collecting violins as his hobby. Most of the good engravers I know about are artists first and engravers second. So it is with Winston Churchill, the world renowned engraver who lives near me in Vermont. He is not only a top engraver, but also a very good photographer and a sculptor who creates wonderful bronzes.

He also likes to play the guitar and sing with his wife. I know, because he gave me a wonderful present for my 70th birthday: a tape of their songs.

Page generated in 0.04119 seconds with 8 queries