View Single Post
Old August 8, 2012, 12:44 AM   #16
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucelee View Post
100% new to handguns. Looking to purchase something for home protection and sometime I can take to the woods with me and protect myself in case I get chased by a bear.

I would like something that is
1.) Semi-auto
2.) Be able to fend of a big bear
3.) The ammo is cost effective

Cost effective example: 22LR are fine for squirrel hunting. So is a WMR or HMR. However, WMR or HMR ammo cost 3-4x the cost of 22LR. I don't mind paying for a good handgun that can take care of business. I'd rather not pay 3-4x for something that is overkill thought. If caliber A and B does almost the same thing but B is 2x the cost, I'm going to go with A.

Budget is $400. So when I say bang for the buck, I'm not talking just about the gun itself, but the ammo. If stretching the price to $450 or $500 will get me something significantly better, I'm ears. Thoughts?

Googling $400 handguns says .45 and 9mm's can be had for around this price.

Again, sorry for being vague but this is my first attempt at trying to figure out what I can get for a handgun. thanks in advance
$400
Can fend off a bear
Cost effective

Try a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Semi-auto? Move up to the Mossberg 930 SPX.

Otherwise, you'll need to double your requirements to raise money. 44 Magnum is it. To get a Semiauto, you're stuck with a Magnum Research Desert Eagle. Those are around $1200-$1600. Ammo is NOT cost effective. Some say 357 Magnum is minimally acceptable. You're better off with Bear Spray and avoiding bears. My Coonan 1911 357 Magnum does 7+1 of 357 Magnum. This will run you about $1200-$1400. Next step is finding a used Magnum Research Desert Eagle 357 magnum. They are not cheap but cost less than a 44 Magnum or 50AE.

If you take out the bear requirement, then a used Striker Fire pistol like the Smith and Wesson M&P, Glock, or Springfield XD/XDM. They'll run you $425-$475 used. Retail is around the $525-$600. If you're LEO, Homeland Security or military, then you can get a Glock discount.

Page generated in 0.03884 seconds with 8 queries