Thread: Just had an ND
View Single Post
Old September 15, 2008, 06:06 AM   #9
nate45

Quote:
It's an interesting paradox that the practice of leaving a gun unloaded (often for safety reasons) can actually contribute to having an ND as in your case.
I'm not advocating this, it is just that JohnKSa's above comment made me think of it.

Elmer Keith always kept all of his handguns loaded, that way he, his family members and friends, always treated them as if they were loaded.

I'm guilty of pointing and dry firing my revolvers and pistols in the house, which I also don't recommend, however every time I put the weapon down and then pick it up again, I check to make sure it is empty.

Years and years ago, I was drawing and dry firing my Beretta Model 1951 at a mirror. I was getting ready to leave and loaded it, about that time I got a phone call from a young lady; and was on the phone for quite some time. Then I went back to my bedroom, picked up my Beretta holstered it, drew it and fired a 115 grain Win Silver-Tip Hp through the antique lead glass mirror. Fortunately the mirror was the only one hurt.

I don't expect it was to hard to see where that story was headed. I had completely forgotten that I had put one in the chamber and I had previously had a loaded mag in the well for the weight, but it could have been prevented, if I would only have looked.

So since that little incident I never, ever, put my finger on the trigger without checking the chamber. If I lay one down and pick it right back up, I check it. If someone thinks I'm too careful or over careful, all I can say is when it comes to firearms there is no such thing.

Page generated in 0.03612 seconds with 8 queries