View Single Post
Old May 7, 2005, 01:24 AM   #5
novus collectus

I made a few zip guns (legally) using blackpowder. I don't want anyone to repeat what I did, but I basically made guns w/o handle or grips (they were the next step I never got to) out of a couple of different items such as a couple of sockets out of a couple of socket wrench sets. The small socket was to hold the percussion cap and the bigger one that I welded the small one to held the powder and made to fit slug. I pounded some lead into the end of the larger socket to make a fit for the slug. It actually worked but I was at a safe (not completely though) distance when I used a pellet gun to set off the primer in the zip gun that was held in a vice. The gun could have easily have exploded and made the shrapnel do me serious harm.

But a real Blackpowder gun made from scratch? Buy a book written by W.L. Greener (I forget the title right now) that was last updated a hundred years ago (but is still in print) and was first written decades earlier. It describes the different methods used by the gun owners that had to make their own guns from scratch in the boonies. There were a couple of different methods that could be done with a simple forge, an anvil, and some basic tools. One method actually used coiled metal strap to form the barrel and it wasn't a solid piece of metal in the beginning.

Page generated in 0.02663 seconds with 8 queries