View Single Post
Old February 14, 2012, 12:13 PM   #21
jmstr

Are you experienced in gunsmithing? A 1911 isn't a Glock: parts require fitting in the 1911.

You can change out the firing controls [trigger/hammer/sear/disconnector/sear spring] with a $150 C&S 'drop-in' kit, but it may still need fitting [mine did].

Changing the grip safety out will cost you the $35+ for the part, and up to $100 labor for a gunsmith to do it right. If you aren't skilled, I wouldn't try cutting the frame to fit the grip safety on a truly nice frame until you've done it a time or two already on other frames.

Fitting a match-quality barrel properly is also not cheap, and you can botch things up on your own. For a carry gun you probably just need to fit a match-quality bushing for your accuracy.

Changing sights out from GI to others requires you to either get a high post stake-in front sight or have the slide milled to fit a Heinie/STI or Novak cut. That adds to the cost.

So, unless you REALLY like the idea that YOU made your 1911 just the way you wanted it, I'd buy one with the features you want up front. You will save money in the long run and you will not void any warranty, as that is the way it came from the factory.

Technically, if you install any of the above parts the firearm maker may choose to claim the warranty is void. If you shoot it in 'stock' configuration they can't weasel out of it.

If carry is your concern, I'd recommend serious thought to a CCO 1911: a 4 or 4.25" barrel on an Officers grip frame. If you want the full GI grip frame [either 5" GI or 4.25" Commander] but want concealed carry, then think about a bobbed grip frame and MSH. I'd still recommend the 4 or 4.25" barrel though. If you can carry in an OWB holster and it doesn't have to be hidden, then a full-sized 1911 is fine.

I have 2 full-sized 1911s and 1 CCO [Kimber Compact II]. I feel a hint more recoil on the Kimber due to less slide/frame weight, but it isn't bad or annoying. I am just as accurate with any of the 3. The Kimber holds 7 rounds instead of 8, but it is more 'concealable' also.

Page generated in 0.03364 seconds with 8 queries