View Single Post
Old January 14, 2013, 05:01 PM   #53
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar
Walt I'm not a metallurgist or a spring guru, but compressing springs linearly against themselves should extend their usable life.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what "compressing springs linearly against themselves" means. If you're arguing that keeping lateral movement of a recoil spring to a minimum will slow spring degradation, you may be right, but I've seen no technical articles or other evidence to support that claim. Spring life is more obviously affected by other things.
  • Compressing recoil springs to or near their design/compression limit, or keeping them compressed near their compression limit -- i.e., fully compressed -- will shorten their lives. Most recoil springs are close to fully compressed during a firing cycle, but some more than others. Recoil springs in most sub-compact guns are compressed more fully than in other guns, and they tend to have shortest lives.
This discussion has been MOSTLY about a FLGR's effect on accuracy and a little about it's positive effect on reliability. Mike38 argued for better accuracy, but I don't think he offered proof.

I added the underlining, below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar
Additionally, if you have a fte or Ftf how do you know if the spring/guide rod is a contributing factor or not? Pretty tough to say, many argue that jmb didn't use or that they are not used in countless military firearms w/o issue, I do not dispute that, but for the countless others that do have reliability issues that go unexplained or unresolved how do you know this is not a contributing factor? I simple remove it from the equation.
Or add it to the equation...

I agree that claiming "JMB didn't do it" is not a convincing argument. But, a contrary argument that you should do something without fact-based justification is not convincing, either.

In answer to your "how do you know" question, I'd say, you don't know. The only way to properly answer that question is to use a single recoil spring in one gun until you have a consistent FTF or FTE problem and switch to the other style of guide rod to see if that fixes the problem. But, to be really sure, you'll have to repeat that test several times, to know you've got predictable results.

The fact that a gun problem is unresolved is not evidence that something not done -- using particular type of guide rode -- is going to be a part of the solution.

If the problem is unresolved it really just means that a sufficiently competent gun "mechanic" (gunsmith) hasn't dealt with the problem.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 14, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02973 seconds with 8 queries