View Single Post
Old January 19, 2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Sevens

more bullets, look at it this way. A set of Lee dies is pretty much a bargain. They are the lowest priced dies in the industry, but they make up 95% of the dies I own and I've been buying dies since the 1980's. I love them and I specifically choose them no matter the price.

And anyone's dies are tool steel and they will EASILY outlive you if you take care of them, and can still by used by your grandchildren.

Furthermore, even if you could make your brother's .45 Colt dies work, you've got two more concerns. First is that your .45 Auto is (most likely) a semi-automatic, so things like case mouth tension, mouth flare and taper crimp are more than essential -- they are incredibly important to avoid unnoticed and/or unintended bullet setback which can happen to any semi-auto that violently chucks rounds in to battery. The .45 Colt seating die is designed to impart a roll crimp, which you don't want for a semi-auto round.

And secondly...even if you could "make" the dies work (certainly possible and if I was on a deserted island, I'd go for it! ), you'd have to change all the settings that your brother uses for .45 Colt...and then he'd have to change all your settings when he wants to use them and back and forth.

All that for a $25 to $30 die set that will last for the next 75 years?

Buy the dies and you are rolling!

Page generated in 0.02602 seconds with 8 queries