View Single Post
Old April 1, 2010, 03:31 PM   #17
igor

This winter I shot half of our weekly IPSC club matches with my carry rig and 9mm compact. That's 2 to 30 meters distances. I like the idea of having the basics down pretty solid.

That said, we do separate defensive workouts too, and that means from contact distance to about ten-twelve meters only.

I try to emphasize barricade positions, really busy movement and use of cover when doing those. Really deliberate individual single shots, even if they're spaced at .25 splits. Must know that each shot was needed and understand where each bullet stops.

Then your imagination is the limit. Imposed-upon stress via some physical excercise, training buddy doing drill-sergeant style distraction or both. Using stage props to recreate daily settings, an in-car situation etc. Imposing angle rules to simulate lack of proper backstop. Verbalization. Decision-making games, also creating highly stressful situations which result in a no-shoot decision or escaping the situation.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004

Page generated in 0.06420 seconds with 8 queries