View Single Post
Old June 22, 2008, 09:56 AM   #17
chrisandclauida2

i have thought thru what i will do if i ever get to build a new house.

first is grout filled block. obvious reasons are wood doesnt stop bullets.

second is no split floor plans. i want my family at one end during the vulnerable night time. i dont want a target between me and the kids on the other end of the house.

third is a pass thru of some sort in the bed rooms. ideally in the closets. this will allow all the family to get to the parents without exposing themselves by leaving their rooms entering the halls etc.

fourth is to have a huge walk in closet or an additional room built off the master that is re-bar reinforced grouted block with its own phone and electrical service. ideally i would like both. they would serve the dual purpose of a safe room a safe and disaster shelter. the obvious things like guns water food etc. i envision a walk thru that is the first line of defense and at the rear of the walkthru is the entrance to the second larger room.

i imagine a second 2 car garage sized room accessible only from inside but with escape hatches if needed.

all this will be minimal cost if your building from scratch. even new homes could be stick built with the master bedroom be a block cell inside the house and the block could be completely hidden. then throw a heavy fire door with a bar across the top and bottom inside and you will be safe.

again the reinforcing is cheap and easy during initial construction. cheaper than many of the upgrades people select.

im sure im going beyond what you asked but i have dreams.

Last edited by chrisandclauida2; June 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.03720 seconds with 8 queries