View Single Post
Old August 7, 2021, 09:32 AM   #437
Seedy Character

Late comer to this party. A few thoughts; MANY different "matches" out there, each containing it's own equipment and requirements. I would like to know what type of match you are shooting and what equipment you use.

I had plans to try bowling pin matches. WuFlu shutdown the matches and permanently closed the range. I would have shot EDC 1911. I have no visions of grandeur thinking I would ever win. I shoot to improve and beat my last outing.

I have shot Cowboy Action. "Specialized" equipment, in the requirement of being "cowboy" guns. Single Action, centerfire. I shoot Ruger Blackhawk, not legal for sanctioned National Match, but I prefer the BH over the Vaquero and I shoot for fun, not NM. A lever action, pistol caliber rifle. Again, I have not modified. Finally, a double barrel (SxS) shotgun or '87 or '97 Win.
The first match i attended, a man walks up ( I later learned he shoots NM and is a self-proclaimed expert that likes to take point out the transgressions of others ). He points out that my BH is not "period authentic" and not usuable in a NM. I responded, " oh, but YOUR stainless .357 is? " Several laughed, he walked off and hasn't spoken to me again.

Trap, skeet, and sporting clays are all informal, fun shoots. Though, a I did shoot in a trap league, several years ago. Again, no specialized equipment. Just my unmodified, hunting shotgun.

Most unusual was Run N Gun. "Training" now, to try this, again. The concept is straightforward. Any centerfire rifle and any centerfire handgun. The "RUN" is either 5k or 10k, sometimes a 20k is offered. There is a match that 50k, I believe in Phoenix. I did the 5k. ( first and only match, I was 61 years old ) The Gun is made up of 5 shooting stations, placed throughout the "Run". Stages will be handgun and or rifle, from 15-500 yards, steel going scored hit or miss, with a 2 minute stage time limit. Round count only limited by stage time and what you carry.
I carried AR, iron sights (only 1 without optics of 125 shooters), 3 - 30 round mags (shot 42 rounds); and 1911 with 51 rounds in mags (shot 21). Finished 61st

My "plan" is to do one "cowboy", carrying 2 Blackhawks (2 stages require more than 6 rounds) and lever action .30-30. (the 500 yard stage requires 2 hits, , others are 35-150 yard) I will be 65 and do it for fun(?).

On a side note, in 2019, an 8-man squad of Marine Special Forces signed up. Their reaoning, they were either shooting or doing physical training, but both together. The 8 finished in the top 20, 3 in top 10, best was 4th. We have some serious competitors, I am not 1 of them.

Page generated in 0.02582 seconds with 8 queries