View Single Post
Old November 26, 2020, 04:11 PM   #11
jmr40

Not worth the effort IME. Who cares if the forend is flexible. As long as it doesn't touch the barrel it doesn't effect anything. I've found the best approach is a generous free float.

I have some rifles in McMillan stocks, some in factory wood, and some in cheap tupperware stocks. I can squeeze the stock near the end with one hand and make most all of them touch the barrel. The only ones I can't are the Tikka's. But under normal use none ever touch the barrel and never effect accuracy.

I've never noted any measurable difference in accuracy when bedding the action of ANY synthetic stock either. The practice of bedding stocks was important when everything was wood. Wood naturally expands and contracts as atmospheric conditions change. Having a layer of synthetic material between the wood and action helped reduce the effects of the stock expanding and contracting. Making the entire stock synthetic pretty much eliminated the need.

Some synthetic stocks have a somewhat sloppy fit and some guys who are anal about such things want a tighter fit which bedding can accomplish. But for the vast majority of shooters it offers no measurable gains in accuracy. If getting that last 1/10 MOA out of a rifle is important then go for it. But I don't see it making any difference with a $69 stock.

Winston Churchill

Page generated in 0.03235 seconds with 8 queries