View Single Post
Old November 25, 2020, 08:40 PM   #3
dakota.potts

I've always used Marine Tex and had fantastic results. Never tried a factory Remington stock but I've done plenty of other polymer and fiberglass stocks from Magpul to Macmillan and Marine Tex bonds hard to it. I have never really had to alter a stock to get it to stick but you can do so if you think it will help. Many polymer stocks have cavities molded in to begin with.

A couple other suggestions:

Put at least thin tape on the front, sides and bottom on the recoil lug. You can bed it with no clearance but in my experience it's 100% a bear to remove and install it you bed it with a 1:1 fit and you can even damage the stock or bedding removing or installing the action if you're not careful.

Use bedding compound even in places where you think you don't need it. I have found Johnson's Paste Wax to be as good as anything and it's cheap in huge quantities. If you buff it into the metal with a micro fiber cloth you will end up with a super smooth, glass like finish to your bedding.

Get some modeling clay or similar from the general store or craft store or wherever and use this to fill in any little voids in your action... Trigger pin holes, gas vent hole etc. Can be really difficult to remove bedding here and if you get it somewhere critical like the bolt raceway or lug abutments you're in for a bad time.

Chisels, gouges, dental picks, and scalpels work great for removing hardened bedding and squaring up bedding. A small milling machine is awesome but you can do a fine job with hand tools.

Q tips or cleaning patches soaked in acetone/degreaser are great for removing excess bedding if it flows over when you tighten the action down (much easier to clean it up before it sets)

You don't have to bed the whole barrel channel and relieve it. I like to use 10 mil tape, about an inch to an inch and a half, and cut it to wrap around the chamber portion of the barrel. You only have to bed this portion and it will naturally float the rest of the channel. While you're prepping for the bedding, you can also wrap the barrel in layers of tape until it just touches the sides of the stock. This will help keep the barrel centered in the channel. Otherwise you run the risk of bedding the action ever so slightly crooked in the stock (you'll see an uneven gap in the barrel channel)

Bedding is 80% preparation. Triple check you have done everything right. Applying the epoxy and tightening the action down is the hair raising part of it and you don't have a ton of time to work, but it's more than enough time than you need and the success here is largely determined by your preparation in advance.

Page generated in 0.06188 seconds with 8 queries