View Single Post
Old December 1, 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Glenn Dee

Firespectrum...

You heard wrong. In fact somepolice departments prefer former solders. In my department Vets are honored with an extra day off each year. Also an enlistment in any military service is worth a 2 year degree for hiring purposes. They also give Vets preferance in hiring... a Vet gets ...Umm I believe it's two points on the hiring exam just for having served. So you score a 98, and a college kid scores a 98 on the test... your 98 becomes a 100.

Having been involved with field training new Police Officers I will say the former military are more disciplined, more calm in stresfull situations, in better general health, have oodles more respect for experience and authority, Have a healthy respect for firearms, have a general healthy respect for the average citizen. Shootings, and firefights take up very little of the average officers time... Mostly it's mundane administrative stuff. I think the same stuff that makes a good solder will make a good police officer... but in different quantities.

If your interested in a career in policing.. I'd say to go for it... If a department is uninterested in you because of your military background... Thats their problem... not yours

I thank you for your service

Page generated in 0.03918 seconds with 8 queries