View Single Post
Old October 13, 2007, 09:24 PM   #8
riddleofsteel

I have a stainless Savage 10 ML II .50 with a laminated wood stock. I used a set of stainless steel Warne quick disconnect rings and a silver Leupold 3x9 Vari X II. Right after I bought it I had Henry Ball (inventor of this type of smokeless muzzle loader) bed the barreled action to the stock and adjust the trigger. Other than than the scope, base and rings the only aftermarket add on was a T/C PowerRod ram rod.
Currently I am using his original load of 45 grains of AA5744, a .452 Hornady 300 grain XTP hollowpoint, the MMP short black sabot and a Wincester 209 primer. This load will shoot a clover leaf group with all holes touching at 100 yards consistently if I do my part.

Points to ponder are letting the barrel cool COMPLETELY between shots, consistent pressure on the ram rod seating the bullet over the powder, making sure each one of the four petals of the sabot engage one of the lands of the rifling, and carefully working up loads from minimum to avoid "blowing" the sabot.

IMHO the Savage 10 ML II is one of the strongest and most accurate muzzle loaders available off of the shelf. I love traditional rifles but I would rather spend my time doing something else beside cleaning up Pyrodex fouling.

Page generated in 0.02181 seconds with 8 queries