View Single Post
Old June 25, 2009, 05:16 PM   #20
azredhawk44

Quote:
Lots of guys disagree with me on this, but I wouldn't reload .40 on a bet. I don't shoot anything except my reloads, but I have no use for the .40, from a reloading perspective.

OP:

Given that your caliber of choice is the .40, I'd advise against it as well.

The .40 is THE caliber of the kaboom in Glock handguns. I see that you're shooting an M&P, which I believe has a supported chamber unlike the older Glocks... but it's still the .40.

Using the heavier bullets like 165 and 180gr, you have a VERY small case volume for your powder charge.

Your precision when seating the bullet must be ABSOLUTE, and your crimp must be PERFECT. You cannot allow setback of the bullet into the case during feeding of the bullet. That creates a spike in pressure and a potential for Kaboom.

Lots of guns other than glocks have kaboomed. No gun or gun owner is invulnerable to the possibility.

If you had said just about any other caliber from .380 to .500 S&W I would heartily endorse getting into it, but I don't consider the .40 to be a safe cartridge for a new reloader to begin work with.

If you have a rifle or other firearm to begin learning how to reload with, try that first. Otherwise... I'd say to forget about it.

Page generated in 0.04382 seconds with 8 queries