View Single Post
Old July 27, 2012, 07:01 PM   #14
FloridaVeteran

Thanks, BikerBill. I like the Taurus a lot, too, but I gave my wife a choice and she wanted me to order the Smith. I've seen and handled the Taurus at gun shows, in both exposed-hammer and shrouded. Best I recall, they hold 8 rounds, an advantage over the 7-round Smith, and I didn't find the extra weight objectionable. I can't tell if production of either has been discontinued, in which case they might be a little harder to find, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat if cost were a major consideration (not to mention the eighth round of cylinder capacity). The Smith is great, but it wasn't cheap.

Because of my wife's acquisition and the "bulk ammo is cheaper" principle, I recently forced myself to buy a PMR-30. I'm new to the forum and surely there is a separate thread or more on these autos, that I haven't found yet, but I want to add that I think the success of the fun, ammo-gorging PMR-30 might spur even greater interest in .22 magnum as a short-barrel caliber, which in turn could spur a greater interest in building guns short-barrel ammo for it. Along the "two is one" line of thinking, 16-rounds in a pair of Taurus 941s ought to be a very effective SD deterrent and an MTM ammo wallet or two, though inefficient, could be a great way to carry a whole lot of clean extra firepower in very little space. The light weight and loudness of the ammo (though probably not deafening, like a .357 in a room) is a huge plus in my SD choice-book.

Unless I had bought my wife that .22WMR snubbie and watched her shoot and enjoy it and hit the target well, and studied up on the ballistics of the new ammo being developed, I wouldn't have thought to get into it myself since I am a big-bore guy. Like you, I wouldn't let my wife carry a .22LR (except with snake shot, for out in the yard), but I kept my yap shut on that because I am a rookie here and don't yet know the protocol of where in a thread that advice ends and wandering begins.

Glad I found this site - now I can stop wasting money on all those girlfriends and spend more on ammo!

Page generated in 0.04057 seconds with 8 queries