View Single Post
Old August 27, 2019, 05:09 PM   #2
COSteve

RRA's 16" lightweight 'Mountain Rifle' AR at 6.2lbs sounds great until you notice that it doesn't have any sights or a sling so it's incomplete as sold. Further, it's got a rail which just begs one to add more 'stuff' to weigh it down.

I started with a RRA Elite CAR A4 mid-length gas, HBAR carbine I bought 14 years ago and after loading it up with junk for the first year, I realized that I wanted light weight. 12 years ago, RRA didn't offer a lightweight barrel option like they do now so, I sent the upper to Steve at ADCO to have the barrel re-profiled as a lightweight and shortened to 14.7" with a silver soldered A2 FH. That took off almost a full 1½ lbs of weight alone.

Even though it's shorter, it's now more accurate as Steve gave it a great crown on the muzzle. It's a great bowling pin shooter at 200 yds even with iron sights so it's plenty accurate with the included 2 stage NM trigger and my 55 and 62grn Hornady fmj handloads.

I completed the lightweight makeover by adding a CTR buttstock, Enidine buffer, MOE mid length handguard, a Troy BUIS rear sight, a customized pistol grip to fit my hand much better, a mountain trigger guard, and a simple cotton sling.

Simple, lightweight, accurate, and reliable. As it sits as a complete usable carbine, empty it weighs 5lbs 15oz and loaded with a full 30rd mag, it weighs 7lbs 0oz. Now that's a real 'Lightweight Mountain Rifle'. The proof of the end product is that I've had it this way for 12 years and have no desire to mod anything on it.

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert

Page generated in 0.02997 seconds with 8 queries