View Single Post
Old December 11, 2013, 01:02 PM   #38
Gaerek

I've never said there aren't situations where a laser isn't useful, or even the best option. I've always stated there are uses for a laser. I believe they are far more valuable as a training tool, than as a practical shooting tool. Heck, the reason I can point shoot as well a I can is because I had a Streamlight TLR-2 that would let me do dry fire point shooting exercises at my home.

My point has not revolved around there being no uses for a laser. My point has more or less revolved around a cost/benefit analysis of purchasing one (or multiples in the case of my other guns). Even using your $100 price range for a laser (I personally don't like buying things with electronic components, used...guns sure, not lasers/lights/etc) that's 6 boxes of practice ammo for my primary carry. In other words, 300 rounds worth of training that will make me a better shooter in ALL aspects of shooting, in some way.

For another $25 on top of that initial $100, I can get in a 16 hour, advanced defensive handgun class, taught by an instructor who's NRA certified in all pistol categories, and is also one of the firearms trainers for the local PD. If anyone tells me a laser will make me a better shooter than that training, I'd call them a liar to their face.

I have limited funds and limited time. I have to try to make every minute on the range count. I have to try to make every round I fire (which of course, equates to every penny I spend gun stuff) count. I'm lucky if I can make it to the range more than once a month. I typically don't shoot more than 100 rounds per session...I just can't afford that much ammo. Even that $100 price point is equivalent to about 2 months worth of range sessions, money wise. Having the equipment for the few circumstances where a laser is the best or only option, isn't worth the money I could spend to make myself a better overall shooter.

Laser advocates love to point out situations where iron sights or point shooting don't work. They, of course, leave out all the instances where iron sights and point shooting are far superior. I live in Tucson, AZ. In the middle of the day at a range of more than about 10 yards, that dot disappears...no matter what situation I'm in. Since most of the time I'm out of the house, it's bright outside, the laser is relatively useless.

I would never tell someone their decision to use a laser is the wrong one. The most I might do is help them to fully consider the decision. Most of the people I know who didn't fully consider everything about the laser, ended up not liking them because they had false expectations of what they would do. Those that made the considerations and understood what a laser can and won't do, usually stuck with them.

Having said all of that. If someone gave me a CT lasergrip for my EDC (a gift, or whatever) I'd almost certainly put it on my gun. Not because I think it will make me better, but because I understand it's a tool and has certain times and places it's useful. But those certain, very specific, times and places aren't worth me spending my own hard earned money on.

Page generated in 0.03395 seconds with 8 queries