View Single Post
Old November 5, 2011, 01:12 PM   #11
fastbolt

Hi niemi24s. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I remember when I was becoming an armorer for the S&W 3rd gen guns, asking why I couldn't use the informal "shake test" for them when checking extractor tension (especially the .45's). The answer was more or less because the engineers used a more reliable method for checking their pivoting external extractors, or at least one more easily performed by simple armorers. Okay, fine, I thought. I'll spend the money myself, since I wanted to keep the tools upon retirement (and we bought them for the agency, as well).

Thanks for the link to the other forum thread. I don't think I've ever posted on that one.

I always found it interesting that the SW1911 was designed and built by the Performance Center, and then the first of the series was produced there before finally moving the production over to the main plant. (The SW1911's are presently built in the Maine plant.) The PC's 1911's, however, use a larger "Oversize" extractor than that adopted in the SW1911 line. I guess they originally had their reasons for adopting the 3rd gen .40 extractor.

Now, of course, the regular production SW1911 line includes a 3" Pro Series and the new Enhanced line which use the oversize extractor. I haven't asked about the use of the same bar gauge in the little Pro gun or the Enhanced guns, although I do have a list of the parts numbers for the different extractor pin and springs for the Enhanced series (different than the SW1911's). I guess once I either get one of the Enhanced models, or at least get one in my hands to examine, I can try my bar gauge for the standard models.

I'm guessing that one of the differences between the short (height) and tall extractors in the S&W 1911's is how high or low the extractor hook clocks on the rim. You'll notice on the guns with the oversize extractors that the bottom of the extractor cut appears to ride a little lower behind the bottom of the ejector port cut. It'd be my guess that having the extractor sit a little lower against the case offers a little more grab on it and might be a bit more robust in extraction under tougher conditions. Just a guess, though.

Oh yeah, dahermit, I understand your comment. I've often enjoyed seeing someone jumping into a thread for a specific reason, having to register on a new forum, because it just might mean they were interested and knowledgeable enough to find the thread topic of enough worth to add yet another forum to their activities.

Page generated in 0.03651 seconds with 8 queries