View Single Post
Old February 15, 2006, 05:59 AM   #1
omegapd

Colt collectors- Viper question

Hey All,

A pawn shop near me has a Colt Viper for sale. It's been there awhile and I've looked and looked at it and I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy my first Colt. It's in about 95% condition with excellent blueing and just a few everyday scuff marks...mainly on the grips. The guy is asking a good price but there's no box or papers.

Now, the problem...started searching the Net and trying to figure out how collectable they are. I ran across this article:

Ok, we need to do some clarification here.... The Viper was a 4", fixed sight D-frame Colt built on an alloy frame. It looks identical to the Police Positive Special. Colt didn't make too many of them (1977 only), and Gun Parts Corp bought all of their extra barrels and sold them for a VERY good price. A BUNCH of folks rebarreled Colt Cobras with Viper barrels and tried to sell them as original Vipers....except the serial number range was wrong (oops...)

Can anyone help me out on what the serial number range should be on an original Viper?

Whats the latest blue book value on this gun too? The ones I saw on gunbroker, etc. were in the thousand dollar range.

Thanks so much. I'll let you all know what I find out tomorrow and if it goes on lay-away or not.

EW
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.

Page generated in 0.06023 seconds with 8 queries