View Single Post
Old November 10, 2021, 03:41 PM   #34
Reloadron

Nathan:
Quote:
So, I’m obviously struggling. I think my biggest issue is target size or sight picture. Any advice? What target should I be shooting?
Strictly my take on this. I suggest you find and buy some targets. Around Page 13 of NRA High Power Rifle Rules you will see targets listed by size dimensions and name. They include all targets used in competition including reduced range targets. Next I suggest you become familiar with "sight picture and sight alignment" techniques as well as "holding and squeezing" techniques. The latter to include your breathing.

The M1 Garand like the M14 can be dry fired all day long. Place a small target on a wall with a black bull and practice. Over and over again, sight picture, sight alignment, holding and squeezing. Then and only then worry about live fire exercise. Practice is what is going to get you and your rifle where you want to be. Dry fire exercises are just fine. Personally for target I like to hold at 6 O'Clock on the black. This makes it easier to hold on the target.

While rolling your own will yield the best ammunition when you can find it Seller and Bellot or even Winchester or UMC 30-06 with 150 grain FMJ stuff should do fine at 100 and 200 yard shooting. While the Greek HXP was good stuff I doubt you are likely to find any as it came and went long ago. No sense in worrying about it.

Group sizes depend on a whole pile of variables so I would just run with what you have for now and see what you get. Take your time.

Ron

Page generated in 0.02667 seconds with 8 queries