View Single Post
Old September 21, 2010, 12:07 AM   #13
NWPilgrim

Bedbug, you are reading too much of your own judgement into my post. I said nothing about using the chrony for accuracy. that is your pet peeve, and has nothing to do with why I am using it.

I also never said I was trying to see if my chrono readings would tell me how my ammo would 'perform", that is your wording not mine. I am only referenceing comparative velocities. To be 100% accurate a chrony only measures speed since velocity is a combination of speed and a directional vector and I don't know of a chronograph that measures absolute direction of bullet travel, only that it passes through the sky screen window.

There are plenty of interesting things for which a consumer grade chrony can be used. If you don't want to use one fine, but don't **** on everyone else that is interested in what they can find. I managed to build good handloads for 20 years without a chronograph but now that I have most other equipment I need/want I find the added info from a chrony to be useful and interesting. I also managed to hike for 40 years without a GPS but now that they are affordable I find it very handy.

I think we all agree a consumer grade electronic device will not give absolute perfect velocity readings. My home thermostat is not 100% accurate, neither is my vehicle speedometer, my GPS, my watch or anything else. Yet somehow I muddle through life with reasonable success.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.02318 seconds with 8 queries