View Single Post
Old January 18, 2013, 01:32 AM   #8
Slopemeno

Don't overthink it. Either the Mossberg 500 or 870 base madels are fine. I own both and prefer the 870.

The key here is- spend some quality time getting to know the gun you buy. It's been said on this forum before that the only thing your home defense shotgun really needs is 'wear marks'. Shoot it until you burn in that muscle memory. Fortunately there's a bunch of venues where you can shoot a shotgun to get that familiarity rolling, from Sporting Clays (love it- and fun with a defensive shotgun) trap, Skeet, etc. Once you're more familiar, then try a defensive shotgun course.

870- narrower receiver. Safety button behind the trigger favors a right- hander. IMHO a little better handling shotgun overall. Slide release is ahead of the trigger guard, but you really don't need to access it if you load like I do (hammer down, empty chamber, safety off, full magazine, so no need to touch the slide release). Both of my 870's are the older mag cap detent system, which I prefer since you can add a magazine extension. Shell latches are staked, uh, *usually* into the receiver. Easily resolved by a gunsmith with the right tools though.

Mossberg 500. Inexpensive. Light aluminum receiver. Tang safety, so it's pretty ambidextrous. If you buy a used Mossberg 500 make sure you have a metal safety- you can buy them aftermarket. Mag capacity is fixed, though I understand you can now get extensions for the shorter 590's now..anyone? Shell latches are held into the receiver by the trigger group. Usually a plastic trigger group, though in their defense I think I saw *one* broken trigger guard when I was gunsmithing. I used a Mossberg as a home defense gun for two or three decades and It's been pretty reliable. I could stand to replace the magazine spring after 32 years of being loaded.

Page generated in 0.02392 seconds with 8 queries