View Single Post
Old December 21, 2012, 02:05 PM   #57
tet4

Quote:
You can bend stats, so hers is the simple one that houses with guns are more likely to have accidents with guns. Which is like saying households that own cars are more likely to have car accidents. But we still have cars.
quiller, I know you didn't post this, but I think you mentioned that you wife used this argument at some point. Since I didn't see anyone else say this yet, let me tell you that this has got to be the biggest and best used lie that the Brady campaign and media consistently use. However, the original study that this concept sprouted from is about the biggest piece of garbage research ever published. It's completely flawed, has been eviscerated numerous times, and yet the media won't let it go. After decades of hearing this, no wonder people generally freak out when their spouses want to get a gun for protection in the home.

The best thing you and your wife can do (now that you read through corneredcat.com) is to go to

http://gunfacts.info/

and read through it. Unlike the media, this reference actually sites real data, valid studies, and logic and I'm going to guess that you will be amazed at the truth. BTW, another fun one, look up:

Myth: You are more likely to be injured or killed using a gun for self-defense

in that text. The media have told us for decades that if you resist and attacker you are more likely to be injured. Of course, they leave off the most important part of the study - resistance with an ineffective weapon is more dangerous, while resistance with an effective weapon (specifically, a gun) is less dangerous than no resistance.

It's almost as if the media INTENTIONALLY does this, but I'm sure it's just coincidence, you know, for at least the last 40 years. So, understand that most of what your wife thinks she knows about guns and self defense has been mostly complete deception from the media.

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries