View Single Post
Old August 31, 2012, 09:18 AM   #159
MLeake

If you wish to keep the conversation solely focused on one model of Taurus, which is a polymer semi-auto, then you need to start a thread in the semi-auto forum. This is the General Handgun forum.

With regard to Taurus polymers, I know a lot of people like the PT-22 and PT-25, assuming they use very specific ammo types in the PT-22. My issue with the PT-22 is not so much based on ammo sensitivity (though the Beretta on which it is based is not so sensitive), but on the latch mechanism for the tip-up barrel. The ones I tried out in the store (two of them) were so stiff that to close them required a lot of force - which resulted in my finding the heel of my left hand in front of the muzzle.

Luckily, I was testing this with an empty pistol, as the gun shop manager (not my friend's shop; this one is another pretty busy one, about seven miles from his shop - so this was a different gun shop manager) had warned me to expect some issues of this nature. (My wife and I were checking out the PT-22 and PT-25 as possible pistols for my mother-in-law, who has arthritis in her hands... some people suggested the tip-up barrel might be good for her. Based on my experience with those two pistols, I disagree very strongly.)

A friend of mine has the .25 Beretta. It is easy to latch.

I don't know if these two Tauri were unusual, but both a PT-22 and a PT-25, NIB, did the same thing; and the store manager told me that was normal in the pistols that had come into his shop.

Things can look really good, or even be based on really great ideas, but sometimes the execution can have all sorts of problems. (For example, look up the Eclipse 500 very light jet; I have a few hundred hours in those; failure rate on check rides for pilots was pushing 75%, and the few of us who could get through it in one go had diverse backgrounds in aviation. The thing could fly pretty well, but had a lot of limitations that a jet should not have.)

I don't care how pretty a thing looks, or how good the ideas on which it is based may be. I care about how it actually performs intended functions.

And I don't buy major equipment without doing my research, first. In some cases, that means I won't have a test sample of my own - because I've already been warned off by trend analysis. (The Eclipse wasn't mine; I flew it for somebody else.)

Page generated in 0.03960 seconds with 8 queries