View Single Post
Old October 17, 2011, 11:09 PM   #8
a1abdj

Quote:
MMM...I may be wrong in my thinking here, but what would YOU recommend as the safe to get for someone who is looking for protection from fire and or burglary for something better than the "average collection" as you put it?...
In most residential cases, it is best to use different safes that are designed for the specific task as opposed to one large safe that is designed to do it all. The larger safes tend to be very heavy, as well as expensive.

If you're talking about a valuable collection that must go into a single larger unit, then it would depend on the value of the contents.

At the lower end you have B rate safes, then C rate, then E rate (TL-15, 15 minute tool rating), then F rate (TL-30, 30 minute tool rating). There aren't many companies that offer these types of safes.

Myself, Brown, and Graffunder offer standard production gun safes that meet most of these rating levels. All of them will have a cast fill for the primary fire protection, and steel up to 1.5" thick. AMSEC also offers a composite TL-30 set up as a gun safe. It will offer 30 minutes of burglary protection and 2 hours of fire protection.

Myself, and a few other companies will also retrofit commercial safes with gun safe interiors if needed. There are all sorts of safes on the commercial side. Keep in mind that gun safes make up a very small percentage of the overall safe market. If you think there are a lot of gun safe choices, you would be shocked at the commercial offerings.

Page generated in 0.02242 seconds with 8 queries