View Single Post
Old September 13, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
BoneDigger

Well...

OK, if I am reading this correctly, you are hunting public lands and you are concerned about semi-permanent stands being left in place for extended periods. How to deal with them, etc... Am I correct?

First off, most of the public lands that I have hunted on require that stands be left up for no more than a week. Many are even less (3 days maximum, etc.). The National Forest Service and the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the State of Texas (state run WMAs) all outline specifically that stands cannot be left in place for an extended period.

If you are noticing stands left up for long periods:

1) Read the regulations closely and see if it is permitted. My hunch is that it is not. When people leave stands up for a long time then they are "claiming" that location as theirs, which is not right since it is "public" land.

2) If the stands are against the rules, simply contact the area manger (COE, NFS, etc.) and give them the location of the stands so they can be removed.

3) If the stands are indeed legal, and it is on public lands, it still does not give that person the freedom to either a) run you out of the area, or b) ruin your hunt. In fact, I bet it would be legal to hunt from the stands yourself. I would not recommend it, but I don't think the other person would have recourse because of it. I would however have no issues with hunting the same area.

So, find out if they are legal and if not contact the local area manager and complain.
I have seen some people act as a vigilante and take the stand themselves since it is an "illegal" stand. I DO NOT recommend doing this. Just call the manager and let them deal with it.

Todd

Page generated in 0.02455 seconds with 8 queries